Is your home looking old and tired? Have the walls seen better days because they are full of marks from greasy little fingers? Painting is one of the cheapest and most cost-effective ways to renovate a home. It is a great idea to paint multiple rooms if you lack the budget for bigger home renovations such as a new bathroom or kitchen.
Professional or Do it Yourself?
While it is true that painting is a relatively easy task, there is a big difference between a professional and an amateur doing it. If you really want a great job done, you might be better off hiring professional painters. They can offer the following:
- Intimate knowledge of paint types and colors
- The experience and skills to do a professional job
- A final finish that is not blotchy, streaky, or drippy
Of course, there’s nothing wrong with doing it yourself if you want to save a little more money but a professional painter can get the job done quicker and better in most cases.
Preparing for Painting
If you’re doing it yourself, it’s really important to prepare well. It might seem as if it’s just a matter of slapping paint on the wall but a few simple steps could save you real headaches down the track. Consider the following painting advice:
- Cleaning up: Before slapping any paint on a wall, it’s really important to ensure that the wall is as clean and free of dirt, crayon marks, and grime as possible. Kitchens can be particularly troublesome as they tend to attract grease and dust. Wash down walls and other surfaces with sugar soap or something similar before diving in with the paintbrush. This will ensure a much better surface for painting and will minimize the chances of the paint bubbling or peeling.
- Moving Stuff: It should go without saying that it’s really important to ensure that the area where paint will be applied is clear of furniture and other knick-knacks. This is not only an investment in physical safety but also ensures that these things don’t become drowned in paint splashes.
- Covering up: Use large drop cloths on floors to ensure that no paint hits your new tiles or carpet. It is also really important to cover things such as skirting boards and window corners in masking tape.
- Using a Roller: Lots of people like to use a roller because it makes painting easier and quicker. It also means that one can reach ceilings and other out of reach areas using an extension handle. If you’re keen to use a roller, don’t forget to cut in the corners first with a brush. Rollers are not great at painting into tight corners so always prepare these areas beforehand by cutting them in with the paint brush first.
Painting even a few rooms of your home can make a world of difference in terms of feel and atmosphere. When done well, it can even add some sales value.